- New Trailer in the Works – Part 1
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 2
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 3
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 4
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 5
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 17
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 6
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 7
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 8
- New Trailer in the Works – Part 9
Things I “shoulda” done.
- Used a spade bit or Forstner bit to countersink the OUTSIDE of the 2×4 stakes so the bolts would be smoother on the inside. Then too, carriage bolts could be used so the inside head is even smoother. Unfortunately I have a real dislike of carriage bolts since once the threads get rusty, and then they start spinning instead of unscrewing, then they often have to be ground off. Actually I think if I did it again I would just use deck screws on the inside, and not mess with all the drilling and hardware.
- Left the folding “hinges” off completely, and maybe added a solid strap instead when assembling the frame. Just make it that much stronger since I never expect for this trailer to actually be folded up. (For one where it is stored is a dirt floor, and the small casters seem like they would sink in and probably tip the whole thing over, and probably when I have my back to it!)
- The front braces on the inside. Should have made full length, don’t know why I didn’t… or at least put a taper on the top edge of the lower piece so dirt and junk doesn’t just pile up on it.
Things I “done good” on.
- Using the tip I saw to mount the trailer jack worked out really well. Very solid, and out of the way.
- Routing recessed edges on the plywood deck. Fit down in between the side rails of the frame very nicely, giving a flat surface to work from. There are other ideas out there to add strips of wood on top of the cross members, then put the deck over that. I think that would work, I just did not want to add more parts then necessary.
- Putting on a steel strap to back up D-Rings. I think this will really assist in making sure the rings are not just pulled through the plywood by Popeye tightening the straps/chains down.
On to the next project!!
I think doing maintenance on the 12′ dual axle trailer!